09 February 2009

pregnant and working (it)

There's been a lot of talk already about recording artist M.I.A. and her pre-labor performance at the 2009 Grammy Awards.

I admit I was surprised. I didn't know the 31-year-old singer of Sri Lankan descent was even pregnant. So when she took the stage in her black and white polka dotted outfit, I was a tad bit shocked.

See the singer's due date fell on awards night. A golf cart reportedly waited off stage in case the mom-to-be's water broke during the evening.

A friend actually said her jaw hit the floor when she saw M.I.A. baring more skin than my cohort normally would at the beach.

But M.I.A.'s performance with Kanye West, T.I., Lil Wayne, and Jay-Z was fierce. And to see a pregnant woman in her ninth month work it on stage was inspiring.

And the more I watched her, the more I wanted to pound my fist in the air and yell a "holla!" in support.

Sure, the blue and green dress she wore on the Red Carpet was hideous. And yea, I would have liked to have seen something other than sneakers on her feet.

But then again, the woman was working on her due date!

So to all the haters, I say, more power to the working (it) mom!

You go girl!

Filipina Moms, what do you think?

No comments: