20 August 2008

Skating, Gymnastics and Soccer, Oh My!

I spent some time this morning putting all the kids' various and sundry activities in my Outlook. Cause you know what they say, if it ain't in Outlook, it ain't happening. The whole thing took more than an hour. There was soccer, which included all the games and practices. Then there was ballet for DS and CCD for DD who is an incoming first grader. Doesn't sound like much, but when you factor in all the permutations of the holidays and the fact that we have two soccer games every Saturday with different times per game, plus they're either Home or Away (Home wears blue; Away wears gray), it was enough to almost drive me to drink.

There are tons of activities I want my kids to do. I want them to do the stuff that will make them, like, totally cool, like hip hop classes and skateboarding and gymnastics. I want them to learn sports that will help them in their future careers, like tennis and golf. I want them to learn how to swim really well. Waterproofing them, as they say. I want them to be able to defend themselves with some killer judo or tae kwon do moves. And I want them to dance. I will *not* have children who CANNOT dance. I just won't. And I want them to do well in school too, of course.

So now the question becomes, how do you fit it all in? Of course you can't. I don't want my kids to become one of those overscheduled children of overachieving yuppie parents. I want them to have playtime and downtime and be able to figure out what to do with themselves without other kids or adults having to entertain them.

So the next question then becomes, how do you pick and choose activities?

DH says we should pick activities based on whether there are plenty of college scholarship money available. Well, basketball has plenty of scholarship money available but I don't think my kids will be qualified for that. If you've met me and DH, you will totally agree. So then it has to be activities with plenty of scholarship money AND where our kids can excel in. Gymnastics, dance, soccer are in. Tae kwon do, out. Skateboarding, out.

Man. This is giving me a headache. Can you imagine if I had a third kid? That child would never have any activities. He'll just be a saling pusa to whatever his older siblings are doing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree--it's so hard to keep track of all of their activities, and I only have 2 kids. Plus, 1st grade now has homework, and piano requires practicing. We have no time! My friend only allows 2 activities per kid. That sounds like a good idea.

Jenny said...

We're in the same boat. 2 of the 3 kids play soccer + ccd + husband coaches both soccer teams = 4 afternoons out of the school week booked x 2 games/Sat. We only have 1 year until #3 joins the fun.

I hear there are plenty of golf scholarships for girls. My husband plans to turn our daughter into the next Tiger (Tigress?).

Anonymous said...

Hi Kalay! I wanted to comment on how long it took to organize the calendar itself. I'm still old school - paper calendar posted on the fridge - and that still takes me tons of time too. I even try to color code everyone's events so it's easier for every family member to see which appointment/activity is theirs. Hay buhay!