08 May 2008

7 minutes of fame or mistake?


Cross-posted with my personal blog: SugarMyBowl.com

---------------------------------


Today was incredible. First off, our dear friend Jill Asher the Silicon Valley Moms Group founder that owns ChicagoMomsBlog.com (the collaborative blog that I also write for) was on The Today Show to talk about Mommy Blogging and it was so exciting to see her there. As I said to Jill on her voicemail today – she looked like a moviestar! Great job Jill! Click here to watch video. But not after reading the rest of my story ok!


Meanwhile, I was preparing for my own TV debut heading to the CNN studio here in Chicago for a guest interview in a US-based Asian TV show called “Kababayan”(meaning countrymen) – a program that tackles topics and issues on or about Filipino-Americans. I was invited to come and talk about the blog I had founded called FilipinaMoms.com. It sounded like I landed a pretty good gig without a hitch – but wait until I tell you what had happened before the actual interview.


Days before today, I made sure that my parents come (for the baby) early so I can at least look half way decent compared to what I’m accustomed to lately. It was a rainy morning and today’s forecast was dismal. But I’m not going to let that dampen my spirits – No siree! I planned that THIS DAY, I will actually do my hair instead of just tousling it up away from my face. This day, I will actually put on make-up like you are supposed to instead of the quick dotting of foundation that covers my blemishes. And this day, I will wake up with enough sleep so I can be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed just for the interview. I was glad to see my parents arriving enough for me to look and feel great. Just as I had imagined, my hair ended up looking fierce and my make-up fabulous.


You would think that all this was an indication to a great ending, but little did I know that a number of disasters were looming around the corner. The comedy started just when I got dropped off in front of the Tribune Building at 11:45 where the CNN studio is located and enough time to feel comfortable for my 12:15 on air scheduled via satellite interview from Los Angeles.


But to make this long story short – let me bullet point it for you.


  • From the lobby I walked straight to the elevators only to be stopped by security because I bypassed a whole line of security check in. How could I’ve missed it?

  • When I got to the CNN office, they were baffled why I was there 2.5 hours ahead of time. 2.5 hours?! Checked by thru my email and apparently my eyes missed the letters P.S.and T. on the end of 12:15. You know, Pacific Standard Time…meaning 2:15 Chicago time! Trying to look cool obviously failed.

  • So I had to kill time – 2.5 hours! Hurray – freedom to shop in Michigan Avenue is always exciting, but did I mention that it was said to be raining all day? Do I need to even say that my make-up melted and my fab hair-do became a frizzied wet-do?

  • I dragged my spirits all the way to Walgreens and bought some hair shiner and brush hoping to salvage the DO that still ended up into a DON’T even after a few minutes of trying to look decent again.

  • Got to the interview and was briefed on some questions. My microphone was hooked through my dress and my earphone put on. The camera guy assured me that I looked fine blah…blah…blah…He was truly just being kind.

  • Show started, I was listening in on the cyclone news that happened in Myanmar from my earpiece and when it went to a commercial the show host; Janelle So, said that a Filipina Mom is guesting on the show and make sure to stay-tuned…or something like that. As soon as I heard that, my heart started racing and I started breaking into sweats! Uuggh..Can you say wet rag once more?

  • The 7 minute interview went and gone and I THINK I sounded dumb and probably looked like an ass. And the more I think about it tonight, there are so many things that I wish I could’ve said. Shoulda…Woulda…Coulda…a little too late.

The producer; Janelle So, said that the video will be online soon, and I don’t know if I really want to share it with people now. So many have heard about it, and so there is this pressure to share. I can only hope that I was not as bad as I thought I was.

My advance apologies to the rest of the Filipina Moms here, I'm afraid that I might've dissapointed you all. Remind me to send Geraly next time! I guess I'm just really not cut out for TV.

4 comments:

Bonggamom said...

MJ, congratulations! I'm sure you did us all proud. I can't wait to see your video.

Filipino in Canada said...

congratulations! i do hope i can see it. please let me know when its out. :)

by the way, thanks for adding me up. :)

Mom2Amara said...

7 minutes?!! Girl, in TV that's an eternity. You did no small feat! Congratulations. Can't wait to see it!

maria said...

Are you kiddin? you've got the world for the entire 7 minutes... Hooray!!! Stop fretting and be proud of yourself, am sure you did great. Now, don't be shy, remember to post the link once the video is out.